Sunday, August 3, 2008

A tale of two churches

Even though I was the son of a United Methodist minister growing up, I can't say that I really ever examined that faith. I went to church every Sunday because that was my dad's job. Being a "P.K." is like that I guess.

I think one of the reasons I began to search for another church to attend shortly before I met the Mormons was because I was looking for a "normal" church experience.....one where I was just part of the group instead of having a spotlight on me all the time.

Twenty-seven years later I think it's time to compare the two religions that influenced my life side by side.

1. The United Methodist Church- On their website I find a lot about Christian service to others. Helping to eradicate malaria, Katrina relief, remembering Hiroshima and Nagasaki, flooding in Indiana as well as an overview of their beliefs and church structure.

2. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints- At their website there are articles on Internet safety, an art competition, buying canned food online to store as well a a section on beliefs and helps for church members.

I know that at this point I'm biased, but the LDS site doesn't seem to offer much in the way of reaching out to others. It seems to be geared toward people who live in their own little world.

Also I noticed that the United Methodist Church takes a stand on the war in Iraq. In part, the article said:

"More recently, the United Methodist General Conference held in Pittsburgh in 2004 passed resolutions:
Calling for prayer for peace and for our military personnel.
Calling for a full investigation of the alleged abuse of prisoners of war in Iraq and for adherence to the rules of the Geneva Convention.
Promotion of better relationships between Christians and Muslims based on understanding and respect for one another's beliefs.
Condemnation of terrorism and repudiation of violence."


The LDS Church has no section or a clear stand on Iraq. I had to do a search and found this article from May 2003 by Gordon Hinckley. After proclaiming that the Mormons "have no quarrel with the Muslim people" and that "...modern revelation states that we are to 'renounce war and proclaim peace' ", Hinckley seems to endorse the war:

"...we are a freedom-loving people, committed to the defense of liberty wherever it is in jeopardy. I believe that God will not hold men and women in uniform responsible as agents of their government in carrying forward that which they are legally obligated to do. It may even be that He will hold us responsible if we try to impede or hedge up the way of those who are involved in a contest with forces of evil and repression."

[As an aside, I find it humorous that Hinckley also says, "...as citizens we are all under the direction of our respective national leaders. They have access to greater political and military intelligence than do the people generally." As events have unfolded we see that, once again, Hinckley was way off the mark for someone who claimed to get revelations from God.]

Perhaps it's because the United Methodist church is more mainstream and has more members in the U.S. but they seem to be a lot more interested in helping others. The LDS Church, while it helps others, will always be enslaved to one thing: The Church™. Everything LDS members do must be with an eye singled to building the organization and making sure the organization gets good P.R. so that it will grow.

I'm jus glad I'm out of the P.R. machine.