Thursday, July 31, 2008

"So what do you believe now?"

"So what do you believe now?" I get that question a lot when people find out that I've left Mormonism and no longer attend any church at all.

Let's see if I can sum it up:

I believe that in the vast expanse of the Universe that there might be a force or a persona or whatever you might want to call it that created all of this. I don't see any evidence of it but I'm open to it. That would make me an agnostic.

I don't believe in any of the gods that man has created over the last thirty to fifty thousand years to explain his place in the Universe. I don't believe in _______.(insert your personal god here). That would make me an atheist.

So I guess the best answer to "what do you believe" is agnostic atheism. Beyond that I believe in:

1. Treating others as they want to be treated
2. Reason
3. Logic
4. The Scientific Method
5. That the only real sin lies in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other sins are man made nonsense.
6. Good sushi
7. Peace, love and my family and friends

I don't believe in religion and I strongly doubt if I ever will again.

As Steven Weinberg once said, "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion."

So yeah, that's what I now believe.